Essentially, definitions are c# POCO objects provided by SPMeta2 library. SPMeta2 introduces a domain model providing set of definitions for most of the SharePoint artifacts.
Before you begin, make sure you are familiar with the following concepts:
SPMeta2 introduces a domain of c# POCO objects, then it maps every single POCO object on SharePoint artifacts.
We use the following name convention to map SharePoint objects to SPMeta2 definition:
- "SP" prefix gets removed
- "Definition" postfix gets added
For instance, here are a few definitions for most common SharePoint artifacts:
- SPWeb => WebDefinition
- SPField => FieldDefinition
- SPContentType => ContentTypeDefinition
We have different editions of SharePoint, we have a split up between 'foundation' and 'standard' definitions across SPMeta2 library.
SharePoint Foundation definitions
SharePoint Foundation definitions could be found in SPMeta2.dll under the following namespaces:
- SPMeta2.Definitions.* - contains SharePoint Foundation definitions
- SPMeta2.Definitions.ContentTypes.* - contains definitions for content type operations
- SPMeta2.Definitions.Fields.* - contains typed field definitions
- SPMeta2.Definitions.Webparts.* - contains typed web part definitions
SharePoint Standard definitions
SharePoint standard definitions could be found in SPMeta2.Standard.dll under the following namespaces:
- SPMeta2.Standard.Definitions.* - contains SharePoint Standard definitions
- SPMeta2.Standard.Definitions.DisplayTemplates.* - contains various display template definitions
- SPMeta2.Standard.Definitions.Fields.* - contains typed field definitions
- SPMeta2.Standard.Definitions.Taxonomy.* - contains taxonomy related definitions
- SPMeta2.Standard.Definitions.Webparts.* - contains typed web part definitions